You will need
- A4 paper
- Coloured pens or pencils
- Device with internet access
- Device to record videos
Before you begin
- You may want to run this activity over two sessions, using one to find and decide a cause and the other to plan the campaign and event.
- You’ll need to do ‘Time for thanks’ at the meeting after your fundraiser finishes.
- Each group needs access to the internet to research – they could use a laptop, tablet, or phone.
- ‘Time for thanks’ involves making a thank you video. You’ll need to let people (and their parents and carers) know in advance and get consent for anyone to be filmed if they want to feature.
This activity was all about being a local, national, and international citizen and understanding how people’s actions affect others. At the very start of the activity, people thought of lots of worthwhile causes. Were people’s choices very different? People’s causes may have been spread across the world. Did anyone choose Scouts? Scouts is a charity.
How did people feel during the fundraiser? Some people may have felt excited or proud that they were doing something to help others. Everyone should take a moment to reflect on how the money they raised will help other people. Can anyone think of the different ways people showed they cared? Some people may have helped with organising or running the fundraiser, while others donated time, resources, and money.
- Online safety
Supervise young people when they’re online and give them advice about staying safe.
For more support around online safety or bullying, check out the NSPCC website. If you want to know more about specific social networks and games, Childnet has information and safety tips for apps. You can also report anything that’s worried you online to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection command.
As always, if you’ve got concerns about a young person’s welfare (including their online experiences), follow the Yellow Card reporting processes.
- Phones and cameras
Make sure parents and carers are aware and have given consent for photography.