From TV and newspapers to online news, every organisation needs media coverage. Through Scouts, discover how to spread the word.
How to earn your badge:
Understand and show how to use the Scout brand, using resources available from UK HQ
Arrange a visit for a group of Explorers to find out about a media outlet and how they create their content.
It could be any media outlet from radio, TV, newspapers and online.
Using what you have learned, complete four options from Lists A and B below:
You need to do at least one from each list.
- List A: Creating content
- Create some media content for the Group, District or County newsletter, Scouting Magazine or online.
- Get approval from your local Media Development Manager to secure media coverage for a Scouting event, expedition or activity. Prepare a press release and include a photograph.
- Help to manage and maintain the social media pages for your local Scout Group for a period of time agreed by your Unit leader.
- Take part in or produce a package about Scouting for local TV or radio.
- Produce an audio, visual or written report about an issue affecting young people or your local Scout Group. Include different contributors such as members of the public, local personalities or public figures.
- List B: Creating a media package
- Give a 15-minute presentation, with images, about Scouts to another organisation, such as a local Lions or Rotary Club.
- Assist the District or County with a promotional event or activity.
- As a team, produce at least four editions of a paper or e-newsletter for Explorers in your Unit or District or for members of another section.
- Plan, develop and carry out a local recruitment campaign to get more adults and young people to join Scouting.
- Create a display or exhibition for Scouts and parents to promote Explorer Scouting.
- Conduct a survey to find out young people’s views on Scouting. Share your results with the leadership team and discuss them with others in the Unit.
- Represent Explorers at a local government youth council or collective organisation youth forum.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.