You will need
- Pens or pencils
- Sticky labels
- Two oranges for each person (or other similar sized items like balls or cardboard tubes)
Before you begin
- Give each player a label with their name on. They should put it on somewhere it’s easy to see.
- Label the oranges too, so that for every player, there are two oranges with their name on.
Get ready to play
- Split into groups of around six players. Each group should form a circle.
- Give every player their label. They should put it on somewhere it’s easy to see.
- Give all but one player in each group two oranges (one player should have one orange). Everyone’s oranges must have another teammate’s label on – no one can have an orange with their own label on.
- Everyone should hold one orange in each hand – one person will have one empty hand.
Pass the oranges
- Each team must try to pass the oranges around, so that everyone ends up holding the orange(s) with their labels on.
- Players can only hold one orange in each hand.
- Players can only pass oranges to the people directly next to them in the circle. They can only pass an orange if the person next to them has an empty hand, to take the orange.
- Teams win when everyone in their circle is holding their own oranges.
- Don’t let the oranges go to waste! Use them in cooking, or take them home for a snack.
Save money with your Jaffa voucher!
This game needed you to problem solve. What was the most difficult bit of the game? What problems did you have? How did you solve the problems? Why did you choose that method? Did you succeed first time, or did you have to try more than once? Would you change anything if you played again?
To succeed, you also needed to be a good team player. Did you listen to everyone in your team? Did everyone need to work towards the same goal? Did it work if everyone just cared about their own oranges? How did you talk to your teammates? Did anyone do anything especially helpful?
Check for allergies before you begin and read the guidance on food safety. Make sure you have suitable areas for storing and preparing food and avoid cross contamination of different foods.