Module 19 – part of Section Leader training
Who this is for
Section volunteers completing a Wood Badge.
Course, Small group or One to one.
How long it takes
How to complete it
Demonstration to a Training Adviser.
What you’ll learn
You’ll learn about world Scouting and international Scout events.
You’ll also learn about the benefits of international activities to young people, and how to include international aspects in your programme.
The Section Leader training modules are part of the Wood Badge training for Section Leaders and Assistant Section Leaders. This is optional for Section Assistants.
You can complete them in any order, within the first three years of volunteering.
International (module 19) is one of the Section Leaders training modules.
Validation is showing what you know and that you can use it in practice.
Talk to a Training Adviser to decide if you’ll need to do the learning for this module, and what you’ll do to validate it.
To validate this module, you’ll need to review the programme for the section you support, and ensure it incorporates international activities.
And to complete two of the following:
- Plan and run an international themed event or activity for young people exploring either the global nature of Scouting, the role of the World Membership Badge, or international events in Scouting.
- Be involved in the planning and running of an international trip, producing an event plan.
- Support young people taking part in an international experience.
- Establish or actively maintain a link, and exchange information, with a Scout Group outside of the UK.
- Any other ideas subject to agreement with a Training Adviser.
Some examples of how you can demonstrate these actions to a Training Adviser are:
- Invite a Training Adviser to attend and observe you planning or running an activity.
- Get a written or verbal statement from an observer.
- Show photos or videos of an activity you run.
- Letters or screenshots showing communication with Scouts abroad.
- Have a discussion with a Training Adviser.
See the Adult Personal File (pages 59 and 60) for more examples of how you can demonstrate what you’ve learnt.
You can start other Section Leader training modules before validating this one.
This module is for Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders and Section Assistants who are completing a Wood Badge, and it should be completed within the first three years of volunteering.
If you are not sure if you need to do this module, check POR Chapter 16: Roles Table.
You can also ask your volunteer line manager or a Training Adviser, or contact the Info Centre.
Training courses are organised locally. Most Districts, Counties and Areas offer course dates on their own websites.
A Training Adviser will be able to answer any questions you have. Don’t worry if you haven’t been assigned one yet, you can speak to your volunteer line manager, local Training Manager or County Training Manager.
If you're not sure who to speak to locally, you can contact the Info Centre.