You will need
- Masking tape
Before you begin
- Use masking tape or chalk to mark out a grid of three squares by three squares on the floor.
Let’s get quizzical
- Everyone should split into two teams: the ‘X’s and the ‘O’s.
- One person should be the quizmaster. They’ll read out the questions from the ‘Quizmaster’s question selection’ below.
- The quizmaster should ask each team a true or false question about water safety.
- When each team has agreed on an answer, they should tell quizmaster their answer. If the answer is correct, they can draw their mark (‘X’ or ‘O’) anywhere in the grid.
- To win, a team must place three marks in an uninterrupted row. The game is a draw if all squares are full without a winner.
This game was about learning to stay safe while being active on the water. A core part of doing sailing activities is making sure you look after yourself and others. Was there anything you learned about safety that you didn’t already know? If you were heading out for a day of sailing, what clothing or equipment would you take?
This game was also about being a team player. How well did your team work together to answer the questions and place your mark in the grid? How did you make a decision if the group didn’t agree on the answer? Was there anything you would do differently if you played this game again?
Make it accessible
All Scout activities should be inclusive and accessible.