You will need
- Cones, chalk or other markers
Before you begin
- Make sure you’ve risk assessed your meeting, and also have a COVID-19 safe risk assessment that’s been agreed by your line manager. You can check out more detailed guidance here.
- Mark out a line in the middle of the space using cones, masking tape, chalk, or a length of rope.
Use the Safety checklist to help you plan and risk assess your activity. Additional coronavirus-related controls to think about may include:
- Set up a handwashing station that you can use throughout the session.
- Remind everyone to stand at a safe distance from each other in the line.
- Clean the cones or markers at the start and end of your game.
Play the game
- Everyone should stand behind the line on the floor, facing the person leading the game. They should pretend they’re stood on the bank of a river.
- When the person leading the game calls ‘river’, everyone should jump and land with both feet over the line.
- When the person leading the game calls ‘bank’, everyone should jump back to the other side of the line where they started.
- Everyone should play a few rounds like this.
- When everyone’s got the hang of the game, the person leading the game should explain that when they call ‘bridge’, everyone should jump so that one foot is on either side of the line.
- If anyone makes a mistake and jumps the wrong way, they’re out of the game. They should take a step back and start helping the person leading the game to spot mistakes.
- Everyone should keep playing until most people have been knocked out of the game.
- Active games
The game area should be free of hazards. Explain the rules of the game clearly and have a clear way to communicate that the game must stop when needed.