You will need
- Camera or phone
- Device to show photos, videos, or slides
- Popcorn and cushions (optional)
Plan and practice your performance
- Choose a recent camp or activity that everyone took part in. Talk about your favourite moments and activities.
- Split into small groups.
- Each group should choose a moment they want to re-enact.
- Within each group, every person needs a role. Not everyone has to be an actor (although everyone can act if they want to) – you may also need directors, creative producers, and cinematographers and camera operators.
- Each group should practice their re-enactment, making sure they know their lines, how they will move, and where the camera needs to be.
Film your performance
Groups should take it in turns to film their performances. If they don’t have a camera operator or cinematographer, the person leading the activity can film it for them.
Watch your masterpieces
Gather around the laptop or projector, and watch the groups’ creations. Why not bring some popcorn or cushions and turn your meeting place into a cosy cinema?
A successful performance required you to communicate with each other as well as your audience. How did you communicate with each other? Was it easy to share your views? Did you take everyone’s views into account when making decisions? What did you do when two people had different ideas? Did you give each other helpful feedback? Did people communicate differently depending on their role? How did you communicate with your audience – was it just about the words you were saying? How did your communication change when you were performing (for the camera or for a live audience)?
Being part of a performance like this can also help boost your self-esteem. What was your role in the performance? Were you confident right away, or did it take time and practise? Did your group need you – did everyone have an important part to play? What were you especially good at in this activity?
Check for allergies before you begin and read the guidance on food safety. Make sure you have suitable areas for storing and preparing food and avoid cross contamination of different foods.