You will need
- Bamboo canes
- Elastic bands
Before you begin
- Make sure you’ve risk assessed your meeting, and also have a COVID-19 safe risk assessment that’s been agreed by your line manager. You can check out more detailed guidance here.
- Set up piles of bamboo canes and rubber bands. The piles should be at least two metres away from each other so everyone stays distanced.
- If you don’t have plenty of bamboo canes, use pens or pencils instead.
Use the Safety checklist to help you plan and risk assess your activity. Additional coronavirus-related controls to think about may include:
- Make sure that everyone knows the plan for dropping young people off (and picking them up again).
- Set up a hand washing station that you can use throughout the session.
- Make sure that people wash their hands before using any equipment and again straight afterwards.
- Clean equipment between different users.
- Make sure there is enough space for everyone to build while distanced from others.
- Plan how you’ll clean up any broken eggs to avoid a slip hazard – you’ll need to stay two metres away from everyone.
Reach for the skies
- Everyone should sit by their own pile of bamboo canes and rubber bands. This should help them stay safely distanced.
- The person leading the activity should set a time limit of 10 minutes. Everyone should try to build the tallest tower they can. The tower must stand up on its own and be able to hold a raw egg.
- After 10 minutes, everyone should move so they’re two metres away from their tower. The person leading the activity should go around and carefully place a raw egg on each person’s tower.
- If a tower successfully holds an egg, the person leading the activity should add more weight, for example, by adding another egg or a cup of water.
This activity needed everyone to problem solve. How did people find out which sorts of shapes worked well in a tower? Perhaps some people had knowledge from building other towers, while others had to test out a few ideas. Did anyone find it tricky to use the elastic bands? It can be difficult to make them secure without snapping them. Who made the tallest tower? Who made the most secure tower? Did they approach the challenge differently?