Build a shelter. Sleep beneath the stars. The Great Outdoors await you.
How to earn your badge:
Take an active part in at least three nights away, on camps or Pack holidays.
While you’re away, work with other Cubs to do all of these tasks:
- help to pitch and strike your tent
- show that you know how to look after yourself and be safe at camp
- show that you know how to keep your tent and kit safe, tidy and secure
- cook a meal with your Six
- build a shelter big enough for two Cubs
- using bamboo canes, rubber bands or simple lashings complete a simple pioneering project or make a camp gadget
- learn and follow the Countryside Code
- show you know what things you need to do to look after your campsite, and that you can put them into practise
- show that you know how to treat mild burns, scalds, cuts or grazes and make a call to the emergency services
While you’re away, do at least two of these tasks as well:
- take part in a wide game
- take part in a campfire sing-along or other entertainment
- cook a backwoods meal
- build a bivouac and sleep in it
- care for your personal equipment while at camp
- using knots that you’ve learned, make a simple camp gadget, like a flagpole
- You don’t need to do all three nights away at once; you can spread them over a number of events. You can spread the other requirements over events, too.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.