You will need
- Animal costumes (optional)
Talk about animals
- Everyone should sit in a circle.
- The person leading the activity should show everyone a picture from the Animal facts sheet. Everyone should try to name the animal.
- Everyone should talk about how the animal moves, what sound it makes, and where they live. If anyone’s seen one of these animals, they could tell everyone else about it.
- Everyone should repeat with all of the animals on the sheet, so everyone knows what they’re called and a little bit about them.
Create and perform an animal roleplay
- Split into small groups. The person leading the activity should give each group an Animal facts sheet, and tell each group which animal they are.
- Each group should use the Animal facts sheet to help them create a short roleplay about their animal. Their drama could focus on food, habitat, space, exercise, or sleeping area, for example by showing the animal eating, drinking, and moving around. It shouldn’t be more than one minute long.
- Everyone should gather back together. the groups should take it in turns to perform their roleplay to everyone else. Make sure everyone can see!
This activity helped you to value the outdoors. Is it important to look after wildlife? Why? Animals have feelings too, and they also play a really important role in nature. We need animals to survive, and animals need each other to survive too. How can you help wildlife? We can all do things like leaving food for wildlife or helping make sure their habitats aren’t disturbed?
This activity also helped you to develop skills. What did you learn about taking care of animals? What needs do they have? Lots of the things animals need are the things we need too - for example, food, water, and a place to live. Do you know more about caring for animals now that you know what they need? It’s good to be caring and look after animals.
- Animals and insects
Be aware of the risks before interacting with animals. Be aware of anyone with allergies, and make alternative arrangements for them.