Skip to main content

Commissioners' Guide


Published Jan 2015 replacing Sept 2007, last reviewed with no updated 2018


This page provides a guide to Commissioners on their role within the Nights Away Permit Scheme. It should be read in conjunction with Policy, Organisation and Rules (POR) of The Scout Association. Find out more information about the scheme for applicants and for Nights Away Advisers.

The Nights Away Permit Scheme

The Nights Away Permit Scheme promotes quality residential and camping experiences. It allows adults who have demonstrated their knowledge & skill to take young people away on nights away events. It also supports and encourages adults to acquire and improve the skills required to provide residential experiences.

The Commissioner's Role

It's your role as the responsible Commissioner to issue Nights Away Permits. No other role; NAA, Assistant Commissioner, can grant a permit, although they can all provide support to you. It's also not possible to grant or renew a permit without a recommendation from a NAA. It's also not possible to grant a Permit to a higher level than that recommended by the Nights Away Adviser.

The Nights Away Permit Scheme is a national scheme, so any permit you grant can be used with young people from other parts of the country, and anyone with a permit from elsewhere in the country can use it with young people from your County or District.

Please don't implement local rules in relation to the permit scheme. These are not needed, provide extra barriers to young people being able to take part in residential experiences and may lead to confusion and frustration.

Granting A Permit

If someone wishes you to grant them a permit they should come to you with a recommendation from a NAA. When this happens there are a number of steps you need to take:


Having a permit does not override the need for all activities to have the (usually informal) approval of the responsible Commissioner, and in the case of nights away events this is done through the Nights Away Notification Form (NAN). Before any nights away event takes place the permit holder should send you all the details that can be found on Form NAN, whether this is through email, hard copy, text message, phone call, via Compass - whatever system works most efficiently for you. There are occasions when residential opportunities present themselves at short notice. Commissioners should understand the ad hoc nature of the opportunity and be flexible about the notice given.

As Commissioner it is you that gives approval for events to take place, not campsite wardens or managers, so please don't leave this for others to do.

All adult groups, whilst not requiring to have a Permit, are still required to inform you when they undertake a residential experience. However it's not required that a NAN form be used in this instance.

Review or Cancellation of a Permit

A permit can be reviewed at any time if the issuing Commissioner has concerns about the holder's suitability to continue to run residential experiences. Outcomes of a review can be continuance, restriction, non-renewal or cancellation.

The Commissioner should inform the permit holder, and their line manager (if different from the Commissioner), as soon as is practically possible that they are reviewing their permit. They should also inform the Permit holder the areas of concern and the processes by which they are going to review the permit i.e. re assessment by a NAA, interview etc. and the time line of the review (any review of a Permit should be completed as quickly as possible and commissioners should aim at no longer than 3 months).

A commissioner may restrict a permit for the duration of the review. This may include a restriction on the permit holder that they cannot lead residential experiences until the review is concluded. The Permit holder and their line manager must be informed of any restrictions.

The Permit holder and line manager should then be informed of the outcome of the review, the rationale of the conclusions and any actions required (i.e. additional training)

Any amendments of a permit's status is only valid if the record on Compass is updated as appropriate. If the permit is revoked, this can be done on Compass using the revoke permit function, giving the Commissioner the ability to record the reasons for the permit being revoked and to communicate this to the permit holder through the system.

If the Permit holder is dissatisfied with the outcome they may appeal using either of the two options below.

Event Leaders & Permit Holders

During the course of a residential experience the Permit holder has overall responsibility. However some activities during the course of the residential event will require an event leader. i.e. a climbing instructor on a campsite, a horse riding instructor, an assistant who is responsible for that part of the programme. In these instances the event leader should have a more thorough knowledge of the activity and consequently are best placed to ensure that it is safe and fun for all. The Permit holder is still responsible and must ensure that the event leader is competent to lead that part of the programme and the appropriate risk assessments have been completed satisfactorily. If the Permit holder has any concerns during the course of the activity then they should take the appropriate action to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all concerned.

Family Camps

The Permit holder has responsibility for the overall camp and can't 'ignore' any rules because parents are present. Within this context the parents can be responsible for their children. Find out more about Family Camps.

Levels of Permit

The diagram below outlines the hierarchy of the permit scheme.

Any one holding a Greenfield Permit may lead residential experiences in the other three categories. Those holding a Campsite Permit may also run indoor residential experiences.


However those holding only Indoor or Light Weight Expedition Permits may not run residential experiences in the other categories.

Those holding a Hillwalking Permit that includes lightweight camping in remote areas may also run Lightweight Expedition events.

However holding a Lightweight Expedition Permit does not authorise those holding a Hillwalking Permit (without the remote camping authorisation) to camp in remote areas.


If you're unsure of anything to do with the permit scheme then support should be available. Many Counties have a local support structure for Activities headed up by an ACC Activities who would usually be the first point of contact for any activity queries. In addition to this there is support available from the Adventure Programme Team at UK Headquarters.

If in doubt, please ask.