Choose 1 of the following options:
Complete the following badge requirements:
- Take part in a taster session that covers:
- Getting into and out of a boat safely.
- Balancing a boat.
- Manoeuvring your boat in different directions, including moving forward.
- Naming equipment used and the parts of the boat.
- Take part in a warm up activity to prepare you for canoeing or kayaking.
You could practice balancing whilst kneeling, getting in and out of a boat or practising a paddling action.
- Dress properly for your chosen activity. Show you know the importance of buoyancy aids and how to put one on correctly.
- Identify different types of paddle craft.
- Name three places you could safely go canoeing or kayaking.
Gain the British Canoeing Paddle Start Award.
More details about this award can be found on the British Canoeing website.
- You can meet most of these requirements by doing activities on land (without actually being on the water). It's great to do them as part of an actual paddle sports activity if you can, though.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.