Icebreaker activities and games to welcome everyone into Scouts
Going to your first Scouts meeting, or even coming back after the summer holidays, can be a little bit daunting.
There’re lots of new faces and brilliant volunteers to meet. Here are a few ice breakers and team building activities to help volunteers and young people get to know each other better.
Whether a young Squirrel’s feeling shy in their first meeting, an excited Cub wants to make some new friends, or a fantastic volunteer's trying to learn lots of names, these games and activities will help you all settle back into Scouts.
To begin, throw a ball around the circle. When someone catches the ball, they say their name and throw the ball to another person. Keep playing until everyone’s had a turn.
To make it harder, you could add in another ball. You could also ask people to shout someone else’s name before throwing the ball to that person to catch.
Once you’re confident in each other’s names, try these quick games:
Are you wanting to try some teamwork building activities to help your Scouts get to know each other?
- Try to get a whole team through a piece of paper
- Roll the ball through the pipes to the bucket in team pipe dream
- Take on inventive tasks together in Taskmaster
- Play Shark infested custard
- Take on a space-themed teamwork game of Mission: Lightyear
- See if people can get the answer in 20 questions
- Crack a life-sized puzzle in gridlocked people
- Practice teamwork in an adventurous activity (you may need a permit!)
Making friends can be harder for some young people, so introduce some talking points and share what you all have in common to get to know each other.
It might not just be friends that you need introducing to. Young people might need a bit longer to learn all about the brilliant world of Scouts, too.
Stories can help relax us, give us a chance to learn new things and make us laugh. They’re also a great way for your group to help to get to know each other.
- Why not share your photos to learn more about each other in Every picture tells a story?
- Work as a team to create one story together in Circle storytelling
- Share your favourite story with your friends in My favourite story
Before reading the stories, you could even share your favourite hot drink – or make every Scouts favourite treat, s’mores!