Taking the lead can go a long way. Learn effective leadership skills that will help support you and your team.
How to earn your badge:
Choose from one of the following demonstrating best practice and appropriate leadership throughout, as needed:
- Lead a team of Explorers by running an activity on a camp
- Lead a team of Explorers on an expedition
- Represent the views of Explorers at a forum or event
- Lead a team of explorers to deliver a project with them
Take an active role in running or delivering an activity in a new setting.
This could be with a different or younger section, or with new Unit members. You should show best practice, including how to stay safe, and appropriate behaviour throughout the activity.
Reflect on the leadership behaviours and abilities you’ve displayed. You can do this either on your own, or with a leader or trusted adult.
Think about what went well and what you might do differently next time. Decide on some ways you can further improve your leadership skills, and put these into practice at a future event or activity.
Complete one of the following:
- In a setting of your choice, lead an activity or event and put your chosen actions into practice from your reflection in requirement 3.
- Visit someone in a leadership role to see what behaviours they’re displaying. Compare their actions and how they lead to the results of your own reflection in requirement 3 to support your development as a leader.
- Conduct your own research into a leader of your choice. Look at the leadership skills and behaviours they display at different times and why these might be appropriate.
The requirements for this badge have been recently updated, however if you’re already working toward the badge or have planned activities in your programme you can continue using the previous requirements until the end of 2023.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.