Before you begin
- Make sure you’ve risk assessed your meeting, and also have a COVID-19 safe risk assessment that’s been agreed by your line manager. You can check out more detailed guidance here.
Use the Safety checklist to help you plan and risk assess your activity. Additional coronavirus-related controls to think about may include:
- Set up a handwashing station that you can use throughout the session.
- Remind everyone to stay at a safe distance when they’re moving around the space and interacting with each other.
Play the game
- The person leading the game should explain how to play ‘rock, paper, scissors’. Two people count down from three and show either a rock (by making their hand into a fist), paper (by showing the palm of their hand) or scissors (by using their first two fingers like a peace sign). Rock beats scissors, scissors beat paper, and paper beats rock.
- Everyone should spread out around the space. In the game of evolution, everyone starts as an egg. They should squat down on the floor and wrap their arms around their legs to make an egg shape.
- Everyone should shuffle around until they meet another egg.
- When someone meets another egg, they should play a game of rock, paper, scissors. The winner should evolve into a chicken and the other player should stay as an egg.
- The chicken should move around bent over, with their arms flapping like a chicken’s wings. They can add sound effects too!
- The chickens should move around the space until they find another chicken, then they should play another game of rock, paper, scissors. This time, the winner should evolve into a dinosaur and the loser should turn back into an egg.
- The dinosaurs should stand up taller and stomp around with their arms tucked into their chest like a t-rex, until they meet another dinosaur.
- When two dinosaurs meet, they should play another game. The winner should evolve into a member of the royal family and the loser should turn back into a chicken.
- The royalty should walk around the space waving like a king or queen until they meet another member of the royal family. The winner of this game should move to the side of the space – they’ve won! The loser should evolve back into a dinosaur.
- Everyone should keep playing until there are no more games to be At this point there’s usually one egg, one chicken, one dinosaur and one member of royalty.
- Active games
The game area should be free of hazards. Explain the rules of the game clearly and have a clear way to communicate that the game must stop when needed.