You will need
- Pens or pencils
- A4 paper
- Everyone should split into small teams.
- The person leading the activity should give each team a category from the ‘Safety tips’ below. Each team should read through the tips for their category.
- Each team should spend about 15 minutes developing a short drama or story using the tips. They should try to include as many of the tips as possible – they should include characters being safe and characters being unsafe.
- Everyone should come back together.
- Each team should take it in terms to perform their story or drama. Meanwhile, the other teams should make notes of the safety tips they learn, both when characters followed them and when characters did the wrong thing. They should try to jot down where characters should have done something differently to meet the safety tip.
- At the end of each story, the teams should compare notes. Has anyone spotted all of the safety points?
- The person leading the activity should award points. The storytelling team gets a point for each tip they included – and a bonus point if the audience spot all of the points they included (because this means they communicated them super clearly). The listening teams get a point for each safety tip they spotted, and a bonus point for each safe suggestion they came up with.
- After each story, chat about all of the tips and make sure everyone understands what they should do.
- Everyone should count up the points. Who got the most? Everyone should congratulate themselves for their stories and spotting.
This activity was about developing skills. Did anyone learn anything new about fire safety? Will anyone do anything differently in the future? The best way to fight fire is to be safe and avoid it in the first place. Taking simple steps and thinking carefully will help keep people and their friends safe.
This activity was also about problem solving. If you’re struggling to figure out how to do something, it can be helpful to think of things you definitely shouldn’t do. The remaining options are the ones you have to choose from.