You will need
- Torch or phone
- Hi-vis items
Before you begin
- Dim (or turn off) the lights in the meeting space until it’s quite dark.
- Give torches to half the group and ask them to spread out along the side of the meeting space. They will be the guards.
- Hide a number of high-vis items around the room (jackets, bands, etc.).
- Participants must try to find all of the high-vis items hidden around the room. The torches that the guards use will help them to find the high-vis items more easily.
- Give them one minute to find as many items as they can before the guards switch on the main lights.
- They can then hide the high-vis items (whilst the guards look away), before roles are swapped and the guards try to find as many as they can in a minute.
- Discuss the importance of high visibility jackets and other items when cycling.
It’s important to stay safe while you’re outdoors and being active. Should you only wear high visibility when it’s dark? (No, it’s useful at any time, especially in the rain.) What other things might make it easier to be seen in the dark? (Lights.)
Make it accessible
All Scout activities should be inclusive and accessible.