You will need
Before you begin
- Cut out the item cards.
- Stick one activity backpack to each envelope.
- Spread the rest of the item cards face up on the floor in the middle of the room.
Play the game
- Split into three teams. Give each team one backpack envelope.
- Each group should get into their own space. They should spend one minute talking about the things they would need to do their activity.
- The person leading the game should make a noise to let everyone know it’s time to collect items.
- One player from each team should go to the item pile. They should select one item they need to pack to do their activity, and bring it back to their team. Once an item is in their bag, groups can’t change their mind or put it back.
- Players should take it in turns to go to the item pile and collect the things they need until they have seven items.
- Once all of the bags are packed, each group should take it in turns to read out the items they have in their backpack. The other groups should guess the activity they were packing for.
- Everyone should talk about whether they agree with the decisions people have made – would they make any changes? The person leading the game should show everyone the correct equipment list for each activity.
- Everyone should talk about other general items you may need to pack for outdoors activities, such as clothing (raincoats and sunhats), safety equipment (first aid kits), and water and snacks.
This activity needed you to problem solve. How did you decide which items you needed for your activity? Was it easier to make decisions near the beginning or the end? Did you decide on a strategy in your team – for example, who would go first? Did you all make your own decisions, or did you plan together? Did you ever wonder whether you needed any of the items that were left, or think you may need more than seven items? What did you do then?
This activity also helped you to develop skills. Do you understand what sorts of things you’d need to pack for different activities? How would you pack your bag – for example, would you get all of the things into a pile first, or put them in your bag as you find them? Do you think you could make a kit list or pack your bag on your own? Will you try to pack your own bag for your next adventure?