How to earn your badge:
Develop your skills in two water based activities.
Show competency and technique in:
- launch and recovering a watercraft
- manoeuvring a watercraft
- communicating with the group
- knowledge of safety.
Take part in a capsize and recovery drill for the two watercraft you have chosen.
Use a throw bag or line to reach a person six metres away in the water.
Show you know how to apply the steering rules to your chosen watercraft and recognise the main channel markers.
Use a knot (either a round turn and two half hitches or a bowline) or a cleat correctly to moor a boat with a painter or mooring line.
Describe what you need to be aware of when using these to moor.
Complete one of the following:
- Pipe the ‘still’ and ‘carry on’ on a Bosun’s call.
- Make a sail maker’s whipping and one other type of whipping and safely heat-seal the end of a rope. Describe the correct use of these whippings.
- Make an eye splice or a back splice and safely heat-seal the end of a rope. Describe the correct use of these splices.
Name the parts of your chosen watercraft.
If you have completed Nautical Skills Stage 3 you must choose a different watercraft.
Take part in a challenging three-hour expedition or exercise afloat.
Take part in a competition or crew-based activity in your chosen watercraft.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.