Are you ready for your next big adventure? Take part in a two-day expedition or exploration, in the UK or abroad.
How to earn your badge:
Take part in either an expedition or an exploration over two days with at least three other Scouts.
This should include a night away at a campsite or hostel, and should be in an area that's not well known to you.
Take an active part in planning the expedition or exploration.
Do any training you need and be well prepared.
Training should include:
- Planning a route, including rest and meal stops. Being able to work out how long it should take you to travel that route
- Choosing suitable equipment for your journey.
You might consider tents, stoves, rucksacks, walking equipment, emergency equipment, first aid kit, wet weather gear, appropriate food and a camera
- Navigation and using things like maps and timetables for your expedition.
You might want to brush up on using an Ordnance Survey or similar map, a compass, a GPS device, a street map or A-Z, and rail or bus timetables
- Knowing what to do in an emergency
During the expedition or exploration:
- Play a full part in the team.
- Use a map or other navigation device to keep track of where you are.
- Cook and eat at least one hot meal.
- Do a task, investigation, or exploration as agreed with your Leader.
Produce an individual report or presentation within the three weeks following your expedition or exploration.
You could present your work as a project, performance, video recording, oral presentation, blog or website.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.