What type of data do we collect on the scouts.org.uk website, and how?
We use website analytics tools such as Google Analytics and Hotjar to understand how you interact with the scouts.org.uk website, which allows us to understand how we can improve the experience you have using the site. The data collected on you via Google Analytics and Hotjar are anonymous and does not contain personally identifiable information. The data we collect on you from our website includes:
- – whilst an IP address is defined as personal data under data privacy law (Data Protection Act 2018), we do not combine this with other data sets that would further identify an individual to that IP address
- Browser type and version
- Time zone setting
- Browser plug-in types, versions, operating systems and platforms
Information about your visit to the website:
- Pages viewed
- Time spent on each page viewed
- Referring site statistics:
- The website (URI) the user came through in order to arrive at this website (example: clicking on a hyperlink from Yahoo.com that took the user to this website)
- Search engine query used (example: typing in a phrase into a search engine like Google, and clicking on a link from that search engine)
- Usage of site search, including search terms
- External website links clicked on our pages
- Page interaction, including:
- Video plays
- Page scrolling depth
- Clicks on links and buttons
- Clickstream through different pages on the website
- How you navigate through the website
Information about you:
- Geo location (City, Country and Continent)
- Google Analytics collects this automatically from your IP address. We cannot see your exact location or postcode.
- Age & Gender
- Google Analytics collects this information via third-party cookies including the DoubleClick cookie, Android Advertising ID and iOS Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA). Your age and gender are stored in the third party cookies based on information you provide in profiles created for these Apps or Browsers. See these resources to learn how to opt-out of DoubleClick, Android Advertising ID and iOS Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA).
- Browsing and purchasing interests
- Google Analytics collects this information via third-party cookies including the DoubleClick cookie, Android Advertising ID and iOS Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA). These cookies record user browsing and purchasing activities and create In-Market Segments and Affinity Categories that categorise the users’ interests based on their browsing and purchasing history - for example, Technophiles, Sports Fans, and Cooking Enthusiasts. Learn more about Google Analytics Interest reporting. See these resources to learn how to opt-out of DoubleClick, Android Advertising ID and iOS Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA).
We also collect data about you indirectly from third parties. If you click on a Scouts advert on a website or social media platform (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube or Twitter) which leads you to our website, these platforms may share your data with us. We use this data to understand how our advertising and website performs, and in some instances advertise to you on other websites (e.g. Facebook) about things that might be of interest to you.