Skip to main content

Volunteering at Scouts is changing to help us reach more young people

Volunteering is changing to help us reach more young people

Volunteering is changing at Scouts. Read more

Discover what this means

Underwater FAQ's

There is no minimum (except Scuba Diving which is min 16) or maximum age limit for holding any permit, including Leadership or Supervisory Activity permits. Provided the applicant can show competence in the discipline for which they need a permit and receive a recommendation from an approved assessor.

Yes all permits can be restricted to the type of equipment someone is competent to use or the environment they are familiar with operating in.

No, you need to have the type of permit for the activity being undertaken. If you have a scuba diving permit you will have some transferable skills to help towards your snorkelling permit but you would need to be assessed specifically for that permit (and vice versa).

If you do not have an approved assessor in your County then you can use the features in Compass to search for one. Log into, click on members then click on Compass and enter your username and password. Then click on the magnifying glass symbol in the top right-hand side. A find member’s page will appear and on the left-hand side of the page click on assessor search. Against activity select the activity applicable. You can then select a category, then a country then an area. Hit the search tab at the bottom right-hand side and you can then message all, some or a single assessor for help.

As above, search for a member, by name or membership number. Ensure that you have selected your own role as a County assessor for that activity. When the individuals personal details are displayed then select permits. At the bottom left-hand side you'll find a recommend tab, click on that. Enter the activity, category and type click technical competence and add any restrictions you recommend into the text box.

Click association rules, if you have checked these. Check the correct granting commissioner is selected and click on submit at the bottom right-hand side.

As a minimum you must be hold an adult membership role. We would recommend the role of a skills instructor. An Occasional Helper cannot hold an activity permit. You can also hold a permit if you are under 18 and a full member.