Skip to main content

Volunteering at Scouts is changing to help us reach more young people

Volunteering is changing to help us reach more young people

Volunteering is changing at Scouts. Read more

Discover what this means

Oar FAQ's

Yes all permits can be restricted to the type of equipment someone is competent to use or the environment they are familiar with operating in.

No, you need to have the type of permit for the activity being undertaken. If you have a pulling permit you will have some transferable skills to help towards your rowing and sculling permit but you would need to be assessed specifically for that permit (and vice versa).

Yes this would be treated as an activity and therefore the person leading it needs to have been assessed to have the correct skills to deliver that activity safely.

If you do not have an approved assessor in your County then you can use the features in Compass to search for one. Log into, click on members then click on Compass and enter your username and password. Then click on the magnifying glass symbol in the top right-hand side. A find member’s page will appear and on the left-hand side of the page click on assessor search. Against activity select the activity applicable. You can then select a category, then a country then an area. Hit the search tab at the bottom right-hand side and you can then message all, some or a single assessor for help.

There are three types of permit, a personal permit, intended for young people under the age of 18. This permits them to pull with other young people that also hold a personal pulling permit. A leadership permit, which allows the permit holder to lead pulling for a single boat or group and a supervisory permit which allows the permit holder to remotely supervise more than one pulling boat or group.

There are a number of ways to gain experience. You can ask your local Sea Scout Group or others in your County or even outside your County. There are some Scout Boating centres, such as the Docklands Project and 14th Richmond Scout Boating Centre that could also help. Another way is to ask British Rowing for details of their Explore Rowing accredited centres in your area. Finally do a search for Pilot Gig clubs or similar.

There is no minimum or maximum age limit for holding any permit, including Leadership or Supervisory Activity permits. Provided the applicant can show competence in the discipline for which they need a permit and receive a recommendation from an approved assessor.

As above, search for a member, by name or membership number. Ensure that you have selected your own role as a County assessor for that activity. When the individuals personal details are displayed then select permits. At the bottom left-hand side will be found a recommend tab, click on that. Enter the activity, category and type click technical competence and add any restrictions you recommend into the text box
Click association rules, if you have checked these. Check the correct granting commissioner is selected and click on submit at the bottom right-hand side.

As a minimum you must be hold a membership role. We would recommend the role of a skills instructor. An Occasional Helper cannot hold an activity permit.

You'll be able to evidence most of the assessment checklist elements of a leadership permit, however there are some elements that you'll have not been assessed against. You should therefore go through the assessment checklist with a County Assessor to see how much of it you can evidence already.

Pulling is still a term used widely in the Sea Scout community, however externally many people also call it fixed seated rowing, so this was to ensure that members know which activity we are referring to.