Skip to main content


All Members of The Scouts are covered by insurance while taking part in Scouting activities.

The Executive Committee is responsible for ensuring that there is adequate insurance in place for people, property and equipment. You may be required to support the Executive Committee to do this by maintaining records of:

  • Members and non-Members involved in Scouting
  • Equipment you own, store, hire or loan out to others

Insurance automatically provided by the Scouts

The Scouts, through Unity Insurance Services, provides insurance to protect what is most important in Scouting: you, the members.

There are three kinds of insurance arranged by Unity for the Scouts, for which the premiums are provided by your annual membership subscriptions. These are:

There is no need for a Scout Group to take out insurance for public liability or trustee indemnity insurance.

Additional insurance cover that Groups, Districts and Counties may need to purchase

The Scouts' rules state that every Scout Group must maintain adequate insurance cover, to be reviewed annually, in respect of:

  • Property and equipment, including the risk of loss or damage to equipment whilst in transit or at camp or on expeditions.
  • Motor vehicles, including passenger risk, in the British Isles or abroad.
  • Marine and boating risks.
  • Aviation and air activity risks.
  • Authorised Scout visits abroad.

In addition to the central insurance policies arranged for everyone by the Scouts, to cover liability, personal accident and medical expenses above, Unity provides a range of additional specialist covers, which your scout group, district and county may need.

These can cover:

  • Non-members associated with your Group, District or County.
  • The things your Group, District or County owns.
  • Events that you run.

For more information, please visit the Unity website,  or call them on 0345 040 7703.

Unity Insurance Services

Unity is your insurance broker, the official insurance broker of The Scout Association, with over 80 years' experience providing cover to the Scout Movement. 100% of its profits go back into Scouting.

Unity Insurance Services is a trading name of Scout Insurance Services Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Scout Association. Unity Insurance Services is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, FRN 312976.

Other issues

Below are a few specific issues which often come up in relation to Scouting and insurance.


Insurance solutions for the Scouts.

Visit the Unity website

Property and Equipment Insurance for Scouts

Property insurance includes buildings on your property and covers the cost of rebuilding or repairing buildings. Most Groups will own contents and equipment, some of which could be costly to replace. Contents or All Risks insurance covers the cost of replacing equipment that has been stolen, lost or damaged. Our Scout Property and Equipment policy Our Scout Property and Equipment Policy is designed for Scouting to provide a flexible package to suit your individual needs.

Visit Unity Insurance website