The rising cost of running Scouts locally
Check out what support is available to support the rising cost of running Scouts
Updated Wednesday 12 October 2022
Your meeting place
If you own your own Scout premises you may be concerned about the costs of keeping it running.
Energy saving and rates
The Government has announced a cap on energy costs for businesses and charities for six months at the same price per unit - or kilowatt hour (kWh) - that households will pay.
The scheme will cover energy use for 6 months from 1 October 2022 to 31 March 2023, and is in addition to the Energy Price Guarantee for households.
Organisations do not need to take action or apply to the scheme to access the support. Support (in the form of a p/kWh discount) will automatically be applied to bills.
The level of price reduction for each business will vary depending on their contract type and circumstances.
You can read more about the scheme, including details of the ‘government supported pricing’ and how it works for fixed or variable contracts.
The scheme will be reviewed in three months' time to see if the help should be more targeted towards certain industries.
If you're struggling to meet payments always speak to your suppliers first about payment breaks, reductions or extended time period to make a payment in.
Please do fill out our feedback form so that we have the best idea of your needs and the challenges you are facing. Scouts UK will continue to make the case to decision makers about how best to support your needs when this is reviewed.
- The Energy Saving Trust has good general advice and practical tips on how to save energy in buildings.
- Charities and community amateur sports clubs can apply for charitable rate relief of up to 80% if a property is used for charitable purposes.
- Contact your local council to find out whether there are funding or grant opportunities available in your local area for insulation projects.
- For quick ways to apply for small amounts of funding, check out the National Lottery Awards (UK wide).
- Check out Community Energy England’s funding database for details of various grant funding organisations and opportunities (England only).
Renting your meeting place
If you rent a meeting space you may find the price is being put up.
More guidance on your rights when renting can be found on the Gov.uk website.
Supporting our young people
Finances should never be a barrier for a young person to take part in Scouting. Find out what you can do locally to ensure Scouting stays affordable for your young people.How you can support young people
Supporting our adult volunteers
The cost of living crisis will impact on our adult volunteers too, discover what support's available for your team.