Before you attempt Stage 3, you need to have completed all the steps for Sailing Stage 2.
Choose 1 of the following options:
Complete the following badge requirements:
If you’re using a keelboat, you don’t have to complete steps 1-3.
- Prepare, launch and recover your boat in an onshore wind.
- Show the correct way to store your boat ashore.
- Show you can right a capsized dinghy as helm or crew.
- Show you know how to recover a man overboard.
- Demonstrate ability in the following:
- Sail setting
- Course made good
- Taking upwind
- Gybing from a training run
- Coming alongside a moored boat
- Picking up a mooring
- Learn how a sail works and its basic aerodynamics.
- When sailing, show you can understand and use basic terminology, such as windward, leeward, and bear away.
Gain a Personal Activity Permit for Dinghy Sailing.
Find out more about the Adventurous Activity Permit Scheme.
Complete the RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Stage 3.
You can find out more about the Scheme on the RYA website.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.