Have fun on the water by mastering the waterways in your chosen boat.
How to earn your badge:
Here's what you need to do:
- choose and identify the boat you will use
- choose the waters you will visit
- identify the features and hazards of this water
- learn what the rules are for boating on the water you're using
- wear the proper clothing and make sure you have the correct equipment for your craft
Complete the following steps under proper supervision:
- Locate the engine and know how to start and stop it safely.
- Take part in a man overboard drill.
- Launch and recover your craft (if that’s possible) and come alongside. Moor and berth your craft.
- Control the speed and direction of your craft to steer around a course or on a journey.
- If you hold The Scout Association’s Personal or Leadership Activity Permit for Power Boating or Personal Watercraft (Jet Ski), a Leadership Permit for Narrow Boating or Motor Cruising or the RYA Level 2 Powerboat Award, you automatically gain this badge.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.