Perfect your walk, trot and canter. Showcase your horsemanship skills and create an emotional and trusted bond with your horse
Here’s what you need to do to earn this badge:
- Show you can catch a pony from a field or stable and tack up for riding.
- Walk, trot and canter a pony.
- Jump over small fences.
Grooming and care
- Groom your pony correctly and explain why it is necessary.
- Show you know how to take care of saddlery and other equipment.
- Find out about some of the basic health issues affecting horses and ponies, including worms and laminitis.
- Show you have a basic knowledge of grass management.
Show you recognise poisonous plants and the results of overgrazing.
- Talk about road safety for riding.
- Explain why you need a hat, body protector, stirrup and other safety equipment.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.