Unleash your crafty creativity and take your crafting skills to the next level.
How to earn your badge:
Make or decorate one or more articles using, whenever possible, original design ideas.
You should discuss this project beforehand with a member of your leadership team. It should take around six hours to complete the project.
Here are some items you could make:
- A container using basket making, woodturning, pottery, embroidery on plastic canvas, glass blowing or fibreglass construction.
- A belt, bag, wall hanging, tablemat or waistcoat by weaving, macramé, beadwork or from leather.
- An item of clothing or soft furnishing, by sewing or knitting. You may follow a pattern.
- You could decorate clothing or soft furnishing (such as a cushion or tablecloth) using embroidery, tapestry, lace making, tie and dye, wax and dye or fabric paints.
- A picture, using techniques like mosaic, staining glass, quilting, calligraphy, pyrography, pressed flowers, fabric collage, printing with potato, lino, string, drypoint, aquatint or silkscreen.
- Decorate a material (such as wood, metal or glass) by engraving or etching. You could even try painting metal with cold enamel.
- Make a decorative item through candle making, arranging flowers, carving (using materials such as wood, slate, stone or soap), fly tying, jewellery making, pewterwork, copper or silversmithing, stone polishing, stone masonry or sculpture.
- Make a small item of furniture.
- Decorate a cake for a special occasion.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.