188.8.131.52 The Scouts aim to provide opportunities for young people and adult volunteers to develop and appreciate what risk is and how it is managed. This vital skill for life is developed by providing opportunities to learn and experience activities that are adventurous but where risk is controlled and managed as far as is reasonably practicable.
184.108.40.206 The Scouts recognises that life is not risk-free and, in its turn, scouting is not risk-free. As the Scouts, we endeavor to manage these risks to wellbeing and safety to be as low as is reasonably practicable. Identifying and proportionately managing risk is a skill for life that we wish to kindle, develop and enhance in all of our members.
220.127.116.11 In order to do this the Scouts will provide guidance and have a training programme available for its volunteers.
18.104.22.168 All those involved in the Scouts are accountable for and must demonstrate an ability and understanding of the following, so far as is reasonably practicable and to the extent of their role:
- Ensure they are competent to undertake their task, through attending appropriate training, checking their understanding of instructions and information, and remaining current in these competencies.
- Properly assess the risk of every scouting activity undertaken. This assessment should be suitable and sufficient for the activity being undertaken, and it follows that activities with higher risk should require more in-depth assessment.
- Provide clear instructions and information to anyone who requires this, be it adult volunteer or young person, in order to ensure any activity is conducted with safety and wellbeing in mind.
- Prevent accidents and cases of ill health by managing the health and safety risks in the Scouts
- Ensure that the environment they are working in, or using for the Scouts activities, is maintained safely and there are no risks to health. That any equipment or substances used are safe and stored safely.
- Review risk assessments as often as necessary when circumstances, environment or conditions change.
- Feel and be empowered to never be afraid to change or stop an activity if risk increases.