Experience the joy of gardening and get to know your vegetables, fruits and herbs.
How to earn your badge:
Find out what seasons are best to grow a selection of six fruits and vegetables.
Find out what it is about those seasons that make them the right time to grow your fruit and vegetables.
Learn what tools you need to garden (a minimum of three) and show that you know how to use them safely.
Help to look after and grow at least one item in a garden or allotment for two months.
Alternatively, grow at least two different fruits, vegetables or herbs for two months indoors or in plant pots.
You could grow:
- herbs such as basil or mint
- vegetables such as lettuce or runner beans
- fruits such as tomatoes or strawberries
Design plant labels for the plants you are looking after or growing.
Understand what mini beasts are and why they are good for our gardens and outdoor spaces.
Visit a bug hotel and record what you find living there.
- The tools you use in requirement two don’t have to be huge – you could learn how to use smaller tools such as a trowel or hand fork.
- You don’t need your own garden or allotment to achieve this badge – you can grow some plants (such as herbs) indoors in a window box.
- You could also look for gardening schemes in your local community – your school or meeting place might have a garden you can use.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.