Updates to our learning and training
Updated 15 September 2020
Keeping young people and adults safe in Scouting is everyone's responsibility. Making sure that everyone has the right (and most up to date) training, support and guidance to help them is really important.
Therefore we have:
- Responded to feedback, and removed all training obligations from the President and Vice President roles. An updated role description is also available, making clear that these roles are honorary.
- Changed the renewal time period for Safety and Safeguarding training to be every three years.
- Updated members (where applicable) Safety, Safeguarding and First Aid mandatory ongoing learning renewal dates (in Compass) to ensure compliance with the transition date of 30 September 2021.
- Introduced the requirement of Safety and Safeguarding training to be completed as part of Getting Started training for a greater number of roles. This training must be completed within the first 5 months of the role start date (as recorded on Compass).
- Implemented a new version of the Essential Information (01) training which includes the Changes in Scouting (06) module content and has a built-in assessment and the generation of a certificate that can be used to confirm validation.
- Discontinued the Changes in Scouting (06) training from the Wood badge training requirements (as content is now included in Essential Information).
- Implemented new Trustee training titled Trustee Introduction, which has a built in assessment and the generation of a certificate that can be used to confirm validation.
- Discontinued Essential Information for Executive Committee members (01EX). This is replaced by Essential Information and Trustee Introduction training.
- Discontinued Executive Committees and Being a Trustee Independent learning from the Manager and Supporter training.
- Discontinued the Safeguarding for Managers and Supporters Independent learning from the Manager and Supporter training.
- Implemented changes to training requirements for a number of roles, extending the requirement to complete Essential Information, GDPR, Safety and Safeguarding training (and Trustee Introduction where applicable).
- Recorded the Safeguarding Commissioner Briefing participation in Compass. Those that have already attended this have had this added to their Compass record. This will be added by the HQ Safeguarding team when Commissioners have attended the briefing.
We will, to support the transition to the new rules and requirements:
- Email members where we have adjusted their Safety, Safeguarding and First Aid mandatory ongoing learning renewal dates (in Compass) to ensure compliance with the transition date of 30 September 2021.
- Email members where we have adjusted the training required in their PLP (in Compass) where Essential Information for Executive Committee members (01EX) has been removed.
- Validate Changes in Scouting (module 6) in members PLPs in Compass where the learning has been completed but not yet validated. The validation date will be recorded as 15 September 2020. We will email you if this affects you.
- Update the Adult training PDF resources - Adults Personal Files and Training Adviser guides. More on resource updates
Find out more
A webinar is scheduled for 1 October 2020 at 7pm which will provide an opportunity to hear more about the changes and to ask questions.Register for the webinar
Training requirements by roleLearn about the requirements before and after 15 September 2020
Updates by Training AreaDiscover the changes to specific areas of the training scheme
Changes to RolesLearn more on a number of roles that are being changed
Changes to CompassLearn more on a number of updates to Compass
Updates to training resourcesFind out more about the training resources that have been updated