Volunteer Experience Group member
Get involved with our Volunteer Experience Group to help making volunteering at Scouts better
As part of delivering our ‘Skills for Life Strategy’, we’re going to transform the volunteering experience. We want to make sure our volunteers feel valued for everything that they do and most of all, we want them to enjoy themselves.
Together, we aim to:
- Recruit 10,000 more frontline volunteers
- Have a compelling volunteer offer that demonstrates the value and benefit of volunteering for The Scouts
- Ensure our volunteer roles are modern, manageable, and fit for purpose
- Have an improved and seamless joining and learning journey
- Have more volunteers from a diverse range of backgrounds that reflect the demographics of society
Who are we looking for?
To make this happen, we need a broad group of people to get involved and help shape the solutions, bringing lived experience of volunteering (from within and outside Scouts, too).
We’re particularly keen to build a team that reflects our diverse membership – everyone is welcome!
What would you get up to if you joined the group?
The Volunteer Experience Group is a community of volunteers who would be contacted with opportunities, like:
- Feedback and consultation – taking part in user testing, focus groups or surveys
- Feeding-in to research – helping us to identify the needs, wants and motivations of volunteers in Scouts
- Working groups or project teams for ‘doing’ – working as part of a team with an agreed aim. Identifying needs, designing and creating new approaches or resources, testing things out and providing feedback
- One-off requests – such as joining workshops, testing a new resource or tool, providing feedback on an idea or new solution
- Connecting the programme with new and more diverse communities
- Act as a critical friend through broader ongoing contact
- Governance groups / committees – ensuring we deliver and manage risks
Specifically, these are some upcoming opportunities:
- Get involved in workshops to help shape the design of our future learning system
- Help to design, develop and test the content of new learning
- Get involved in workshops to test and feedback on our new joining process and recruitment tools
- Support the team to re-design and create new resources or digital tools to transform the support available to new and existing volunteers
What are our current areas of focus?
- Recruiting volunteers
- Welcome and joining, including appointments
- Our roles and how we volunteer
- Our volunteering culture
- Ongoing experience of volunteering, including recognising and celebrating our volunteers
- Developing systems and new tools to support all parts of the volunteer experience
- Supporting change management and transition locally
- Designing or re-designing content, resources and digital tools for our volunteers
With lots more exciting transformation to come!
How will it work?
- We’ll share opportunities as and when they crop up, so we won’t bombard you – expect an email about every other month
- We’ll also get everyone together for an online call occasionally, to share what we’ve all been up to and celebrate successes
- Time is flexible – it can be as little or as much as you want to give, depending on what you get involved with
- Most of the tasks will be done remotely, using tools like Zoom or Teams. (But don’t worry if you’re not confident using these, we’ll help)
- We’ll support you to develop new skills and gain experience, as needed for the tasks or teams that you get involved with.
Sound good? Sign up now. Please fill out our diversity monitoring form too.
Sun, January 1, 2023, 12:00 AM