Be prepared for the unexpected! Develop your survival skills to be self-reliant in tough conditions and an awareness of natural resources and how to use them.
How to earn your badge:
Show that you know:
- first aid treatment you may need to use while on a survival event, considering you may have limited resources available
- how to construct different kinds of shelter
- how to build a fire and use basic lighting techniques
You should not use man-made materials such as paper or firelighters.
- the various burning qualities of different woods
- how to maintain hygiene in a survival situation
- basic knife or multi-tool skills, including safety and sharpening
- the correct use of international distress signals, using a whistle, torch, mirror or markers
- some basic actions to take while waiting rescue that will both keep you (and your group) safe and will assist your rescuers in locating you
Put together a personal survival kit.
With a group of at least three Scouts, take part in a survival exercise.
It should last about 24 hours and the group should:
- construct a shelter of natural or salvaged materials and sleep in it
- prepare a meal using raw ingredients that could have been found or caught
- cook all meals over an open fire
- cook without utensils, although you may use a knife.
Requirements can be adapted to suit each young persons abilities. See our guidance on flexibility.