You will need
- Glue sticks
- PVA glue
- Scrap card
- Coloured pens or pencils
- Craft materials (for example, tissue paper, pipe cleaners, stickers)
- Cardboard boxes (shoe boxes work well)
- Collections (like Pokémon Trading Cards, coins, stamps or memorabilia)
A message from Professor Magnolia, the renowned academic and discoverer of Pokémon
Your collection has been chosen as the star attraction for a museum. Before it’s constructed in full, create a model to show how the exhibition will be laid out. By yourself, or in groups, prepare a miniature exhibition of curiosities. These could be things you’ve collected, like Pokémon Trading Cards or toys, or things you've made, like Pokémon origami. The museum will feature exhibitions from within and beyond the Pokémon world, so you could also showcase collectables like coins, music memorabilia, books, stamps or something else which interests you.
Before you begin
- The week before the meeting, ask everyone to bring in a collection they’re making at the moment or some objects they’d like to make into a collection.
Become a curious curator
- Divide your group into collections, either team collections or separate ones.
- Give each exhibitor at least one box to form the exhibition room.
- Each exhibitor should also have a collection to curate. This could be one of their own, or if you have completed the section collection activity, you could use that.
Build a shoe box museum
- Before starting your model, think about how you’ll lay out the exhibition:
- Do the objects need to tell a story?
- Do the objects need to be displayed in a certain order?
- What information about the objects will you share? Captions, films, signs?
- How will visitors find their way around your exhibition?
- How can you make the experience exciting for visitors?
- Begin construction of your mini exhibition, making it as exciting and eye-catching as you can.
- Once your exhibitions are complete, view each others’ creations. What might you do differently next time?
To create your shoe-seum successfully, you need to work as a team. How did you agree on the design together? Think of a really useful contribution one of your team mates made. Has this inspired you to create more shoe-seums to display another collection?