You will need
- Box or container
- Magic: The Gathering Welcome Deck
Before you begin
- You can order a free Magic: The Gathering Welcome Deck and use the real cards for this game. If you don’t have the deck, prepare some basic creature cards in advance that just include the mana cost – there’s more information about how to read a Magic card below.
Get ready to play
In this game, players cast spells by collecting a Magic creature card, finding the coloured land cards they need, and posting all the cards in a box to cast them. The team that casts the most spells wins.
Leader will hold all of the different cards – they’ll move around the space or hide. Check out Change the level of the challenge for some different ways to change up the game. You’ll need at least:
- One leader with Magic creature cards. The game works best if you split into two teams and give each team different coloured cards to make it easier to count the points at the end! If you don’t have coloured cards, you could have a different box for each team to cast their spells in.
- A number of leaders with Magic land cards. You could also use coloured sticky notes instead. If you have enough helpers, they could have one colour each – otherwise, it’s OK for them to hold more than one colour.
- One leader with a box to post the completed cards.
Play the game
- The person leading the game should set clear boundaries for the playing area.
- Everyone should split into two teams.
- Everyone should move around the space, find the leader with the Magic creature cards, and collect a card.
- Everyone should read their Magic character card to find out how many mana they need to cast the spell, and which colours their mana should be.
- Everyone should move around the space and find the leaders who have the coloured cards they need.
- Once someone has their creature card and all of mana they need to cast their spell, they should find the leader with the box and put their cards into it.
- Everyone should repeat steps three to six as many times as they can before the time runs out!
- After a set amount of time, everyone should gather together to see which team has cast the most creatures. Don’t forget to congratulate the winners.
This game was all about working together in teams to complete the challenge. Take the time to think about what you did and why – you’ll be amazed at what you learn. Try out a quick, active reflection from our reflective toolkit to lock in the great things you tried and learned in this activity.
- Active games
The game area should be free of hazards. Explain the rules of the game clearly and have a clear way to communicate that the game must stop when needed.